The Community art project titled “Bertolak-Bersanding” (Departing – Collaborating) is part of Biennale Jogja XIII Parallel Events section. Under the main theme of Hacking Conflict working with Nigeria as the country partner, this program refers to the dynamics among common people in overcoming conflicts. This project raises up questions on the forms and approaches of critical art, and at the same time offering various artistic practices questioning the dominant hegemony.
The project opens up opportunities and challenges to the participating groups or individuals working in arts, culture, academics, social organizations, to intervene creatively towards the capability of the people to adapt to changes. The artistic actions in the Parallel Events project are not merely about ‘how to engage public’ or non-hierarchical ideas, but mostly about how to stage the social system instability by doing arts through social criticism and participatory methods.
There are 8 groups that have been selected to be part of Parallel Events to discuss general issues such as trashes, citizen relationship, water, housing, natural resources, and traditional art practices. Community art method is the way they try to shake, to disturb and to give voice over all those issues. heir different works and approaches towards the same issues by diving into the communities is expected to provide new horizons and awareness for the residents and participants all together. Their different works and approaches towards the same issues by diving into the communities is expected to provide new horizons and awareness for the residents and participants all together.
During the process, participants join workshops on creating, guided by the art community practitioners Joned Suryatmoko and Moelyono. The results will be presented at the University of Technology Yogyakarta and Duta Wacana Christian University, and also showcased at Jogja National Museum during the biennale, as well as in their own local spaces.
The eight groups are:
1. Anang Saptoto and the architecture of University of Technology Yogyakarta, working at the Sempu Perumahan, Desa Bangunjiwo, Kasihan, Bantul.
2. The architecture of Kristen Duta Wacana University working at Jetis, Sleman.
3. Kelompok Tiga working at kawasan perkotaan Yogyakarta.
4. Paguyuban Sidji working at Imogiri, Bantul.
5. Sanggar Seni R n B and Titik Lenyap working at Kabupaten Gunung Kidul Yogyakarta.
6. Teras Print and Kulonprogo Printmaking working at Kabupaten Kulonprogo.
7. Anak Wayang Indonesia working at Kampung Mergangsan Yogyakarta.
8. Moansnake28 and Art as Therapy working at Bausasran Yogyakarta.